Big Bear Valley comprises Big Bear Lake, Big Bear City, Fawnskin, Holcomb Valley,
Sugarloaf, Erwin Lake, Baldwin Lake and Lake Williams.
THE SERRANO INDIANS
Native American Artifacts at Big Bear Museum
The Serrano Indians first came to Yahaviat ("pine place") some 2,500 years ago. The
name Serrano meant people of the mountains or highlanders. They lived near springs,
streams and rivers in small settlements of 10 to 30 dwellings. The Serranos were
a peaceful and gentle people; they were regarded as skilled basket weavers. The
women were expert pottery makers; their Tizon ware was thin, delicate and beautifully
decorated. Acorn mush was a basic food; pinon nuts, berries, roots, tubers, bulbs
and sage were also in their diet. Big Bear Valley was a favorite hunting and food
gathering source for these people and there are many legends about this area in
The Serranos held the grizzly bear in deep reverence, and thought of these huge animals
as great grandfathers. Bear meat was never eaten, nor was bear fur ever worn.
The house of the Serrano was a circular building from twelve to fourteen feet across.
The house was constructed within an excavated area as much as two feet deep. Brushes
or tulles were tied to a pole framework with yucca fiber or rawhide thongs. A pit
lined with stones was dug in the center of the floor for the fire. The floors were
at least partially covered with tulle mats.
Their settlements are remembered today in towns that bear their names - Yucaipa,
Cucamonga and Muscupiabe.
SAN BERNARDINO AND MT. SAN BERNARDINO 1810 - 1845
Postcard of old San Bernardino and snow-capped Mount San Bernardino in background
In 1810, a semi-retired priest, Father Dumetz from the San Gabriel Mission, while
on a visit to a mission Indian village, built a small chapel to celebrate mass.
Completed on or near the feast day of Saint Bernard of Siena, Father Dumetz called
the area San Bernardino . That name would later identify the valley, the city, the
mountain range, a national forest and, the largest county in the contiguous United
The need for more pastures and farmland brought about the establishment of Rancho
San Bernardino, located near present day Redlands , which became the area's first
successful European business venture. Other ranchos were established, to the envy
of the newly landed Spanish aristocracy.
In the mountains, the Serrano and Cahuilla Indians watched as the presence of the
white man increased, not only from the west, but also from the east, with the arrival
of the blonde, Yankee, buffalo-robed mountain men.
In 1822, Mexico secured it's independence from the motherland, Spain . Hundreds of
western trailblazers continued to arrive in Alta California, motivated by their
desire to explore new lands. In 1833 mission buildings and land were confiscated
from the Church and placed under the control of government appointed administrators,
which proved disastrous .
When the secularization of the missions was completed in 1834, the Mexican government
began transferring title of the Franciscan dynasty to many influential, political
and military figures. The Mission lands were given to the Lugos, Bandinis, Picos,
and Sepulvedas, names that are familiar throughout California . Two of the first
non-Hispanic land grantees were Benjamin Wilson and Isaac Williams. An employee
of Williams was a young logger named Daniel Sexton, who operated one of the mountain's
first primitive sawmills, which was located in the San Gorgonio Pass. Other Dons
(Spanish gentry) were interested in the valued timber economy of the nearby mountains,
among them Antonio Lugo, who had been given the former Rancho San Bernardino.
In 1836 California committed a bloodless coup, sending the incompetent Mexican governor packing.
Benjamin (Benito) Wilson
Mexican and American traders continued to pour into Southern California looking for
strong and sturdy horses and mules. Problems with horse thieves and Indian raiding
parties continued. Commissioned by the Mexican California Governor Pio Pico, Benjamin
(Benito) Wilson accepted the challenge of upholding law and order, by becoming Justice
of the Peace for the Inland Territory . Wilson was one of the first American settlers
in Southern California . A former fur trapper and Indian trader, he became a naturalized
Mexican citizen and then began his extensive land holdings with the purchase of
Rancho Jurupa (now Riverside).. He then married Ramona Yorba whose family owned
property including the 78,941 acre Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana. After Ramona's
death, he married Margaret Hereford of Los Angeles. He became a prosperous rancher
and one of the first sub-dividers, at one time he owned lands that later became
Westwood, Pasadena , Alhambra , San Gabriel , Riverside and San Bernardino .
In 1851 he was elected mayor of little Los Angeles , and was instrumental in coaxing
the Southern Pacific Railroad to pass through Los Angeles rather than around it.
Mount Wilson in the San Gabriel Mountains bears his name and General George S. Patton
was one of his grandchildren. He was a special friend to the Indians and in 1852
was appointed their subagent. He was instrumental in creating the reservation system
and establishing policies to ensure the future welfare of Indians suffering from
the breakdown of the old mission program.
In 1845 a group of renegade horse thieves and rustlers led by a fierce, young, Ute
Indian Chief named Walkara stole a large herd of Lugo owned cattle, driving them
off into the desert. Benjamin Wilson, leading a group of New Mexicans and Californios,
set out in pursuit of Walkara. Wilson sent half of the men through the Cajon Pass
and the other half he led into San Bernardino 's Santa Ana canyon. Climbing higher
and higher over rough terrain and steep granite ridges, his party came across an
alkali lake and a small Indian settlement surrounded by forests of tall Ponderosa,
Jeffrey and Lodgepole pine. Although they did not find Walkara, what they did discover
was an ancient and mysterious forest alive with Grizzly Bears. It is reported that
Wilson and his men took 11 huge pelts with them that day. Word of their adventure
spread and the area now known as Big Bear and Big Bear Lake was originally named
GOLD IN HOLCOMB VALLEY 1860
Upper Level workings at the Rose Mine Big Bear 1873 - 1946
About 15 years (1860) after Bear Valley was discovered by Wilson , prospector Bill
Holcomb discovered gold in nearby Holcomb Valley . After abandoning his prospecting
and mining efforts in Northern California and Oregon where he spent 10 years searching
for gold, Holcomb and his partner Jack Martin came to Bear Valley in the winter
of 1859. Although the partners worked hard they made only a modest strike. Martin
returned to Los Angeles to get his family.
Meanwhile, towards the end of April, while Bill was hunting bear, he crossed the
meadow in the center of Bear Valley and climbed up the west side of Bertha Peak
and saw what he described as the most beautiful mountain valley I have ever seen.
A few days later, he returned to that valley with companions, and while tracking
a grizzly he had wounded, along what is now Caribou Creek; Bill noticed glittering
specks of gold in a quartz ledge.
News of his find spread fast and soon prospectors began staking and working their
claims. The population of Holcomb Valley swelled to over 2,000; buildings and businesses
sprung up, including a General Store, Saloon, Grocery Store, Blacksmith Shop and
the famous Octagon House where the glitter girls danced and otherwise entertained
men in small dimly lit cubicles. As more and more prospectors came to Bear Valley
in the hunt for gold and silver ore, the Bear Valley Mining District was founded.
GETTING TO BIG BEAR VALLEY 1861 - 1912
Horse-drawn Stage on the way to Big Bear Valley 1907
One of the first routes into Bear Valley was a difficult trek via the Santa Ana Canyon . In
June 1861 Jed Van Dusen opened a wagon trail down the back side through Hesperia and the Cajon Pass to San Bernardino.
By May of 1892, the Bear Valley Wagon Road was opened from Hunsaker Flat (Running
Springs) to Fawnskin (via Green Valley), and in 1899 Gus Knight and Hiram Clark
(Clark Grade Road) built the Bear Valley and Redlands Toll Road via the Santa Ana
Canyon past Bluff Lake.
The gold rush brought civilization to the area and from
1861 until 1912, the San Bernardino Mountain communities were served regularly by
horse-drawn stages, which took two days to reach the Big Bear Valley from San Bernardino.
This must have been an exciting trip, as these open stages, with their daredevil
drivers and adventure seeking passengers wound along the rough dirt trails through
pine forests and grizzly bear country. However, by the turn of the century, the
mighty Grizzly Bear, so revered by the indians, had been almost wiped out, and the
last known grizzly in the San Bernardino Mountains was killed in 1906.
AUTO STAGES 1912
Early buses known as White Stages pause near Bluff Lake on their way to Big Bear Lake in 1915
By 1912, the coming of the iron horse was fast wiping out that colorful era. A young man by the name of Kirk Phillips, had seen a White truck with bench seats carrying passengers on 5 th Avenue in New York ; this was the world's first bus line. He thought this would work in the mountains and by the spring of 1912 he established the famous Mountain Auto Line and started bringing freight and passengers to the mountains by motor power. This was the world's second bus line.
By 1914 there were nine reliable White trucks (buses) making the trip and bringing tourists to and from the mountains. The buses had four cylinder engines; they were open top and sides, had four rows of seats behind the driver and carried thirteen passengers.
They travelled to Big Bear Valley via the Mill Creek Road past the picturesque Bluff Lake and meadow area and came out through the control gate opposite the historic Oak Knoll Lodge which is still operating today.
This faster and cheaper motor transportation changed the mountain communities. The villages grew and resorts were opened. Southern California 's major mountain recreation land was established.
BIG BEAR LAKE DAM 1884-1910
The first Rock Dam 1885
Frank E Brown and Edward G Judson developed a planned community that they called
Redlands . Because they needed more water for their orange groves in the new community,
Dr Benjamin Barton a state assemblyman and pioneering physician was influential
in bringing Fred Perris, the assistant state engineer to Bear Valley to consider
the site as a possible reservoir. Brown raised money and purchased the lake site,
instituted the Bear Valley Land and Water Co and construction of the dam began in
the summer of 1884. Brown, a Yale graduate, tested his engineering skill by designing
a granite, single arch, ashlar (square-hewn stone) rock dam using cement from England
. His design called for a dam, 53 feet high, 335 feet across with a 20 foot wide
spillway, 4 feet lower than the top.
In June 1903, the Redlands-Highland area citrus growers formed the Bear Valley Mutual
Water Company, which took over the dam, lake, and lands in Big Bear Lake in 1909.
THE CURRENT BIG BEAR LAKE DAM
The current multiple arch Dam built in 1910
The rock dam could not hold enough water to meet its obligations and in 1910 a
new, larger multiple arch dam was designed by engineer John S. Eastwood. The new dam was
built about 250 feet downstream from the old dam and measured 72 feet high. Eleven concrete buttresses were built across the gorge about 35 feet apart and about 50 yards downstream from the existing rock dam. By 1912, this new dam was finished at a cost of $138,000; it stood twenty feet higher than the old rock dam, but it increased the capacity of the lake by almost three times. At the time, this engineering feat created the world's largest man-made lake.
Eastwood didn’t design his Big Bear Lake dam with the intent of putting a bridge across the top. At the time, the Rim Of The World Highway into Big Bear entered the valley at Fawnskin via Holcomb Valley. It then continued east around the lake to the Big Bear Village. There were no roads to the dam, on either side of the lake in 1910.
In 1924, San Bernardino County decided to shut down the section of Rim Of The World Highway from Running Springs through Holcomb to Fawnskin, and they build a new route from Running Springs through Snow Valley to the dam at Big Bear Lake. This new highway would continue past the Big Bear dam along the North Shore to Fawnskin. At this time they also built a bridge over the dam and a new road along the south shore of the lake from the dam to Big Bear Village.
In the century it has been operating, the Dam has withstood earthquakes, floods and
drastic temperature ranges from 30 degrees below to 100 degrees above.
DAM KEEPER'S HOUSE 1890
The historic Dam Keepers house built in 1890
In October of 1890, the historic Dam Keeper's House was built using hand-cut granite
blocks from the same quarry that provided the stones for the first dam. For nearly
a century, this was home to over a dozen dam keepers and their families. The famed
Bill Knickerbocker and his family were early residents between 1909 and 1918. After
the Municipal Water district purchased the lake in 1977, and water would no longer
be released for irrigation, there would be no need for a resident dam keeper.
The water company returned the house to the forest service with the hope that it
would become a museum. This never came to pass, and today this historic building
that was built to last forever, sits in an advanced state of deterioration and neglect.
The roof has completely fallen in, the south facing wall has fallen down and it
appears some of the blocks have disappeared. The inside walls are covered with graffiti
as well as some of the rocks surrounding the house.
After 1915 the government began leasing summer home sites near the dam for $15 a
year. These sites were along both the north and south side of the lake. Many of
these picturesque cabins remain today, and some are owned by the same families that
built them. Since there were no roads to this area at the time, all the lumber and
supplies had to be brought over by boat.
MOVIES IN BIG BEAR VALLEY from 1911
Scene from Kissin Cousins with Elvis Presley filmed at Cedar Lake in Big Bear
The beautiful unspoiled scenery around Big Bear Lake attracted the budding movie industry
and in 1911, the first recorded movie was made here by The Bison Company. During
the 20's and 30's, the golden age for film companies, dozens of movies were made
in and around Big Bear and the tall Pines and large boulders can be seen in many of the old movies. Cedar Lake which is a beautiful, small private lake was the backdrop for many of the movies, including the famous Elvis Preslry movie "Kissin Cousins".
Below are just some of the recognizable names who came here on location: Cecil B
DeMille (Call of the North 1914), D.W.Griffith, Lillian Gish (Birth of a Nation), Deanna Durbin (Can't Help Singing), Jesse L. Lasky, Douglas Fairbanks (He Comes Up Smiling 1918), Lon Chaney,
Mary Pickford, Wallace Berry (The Last of the Mohicans 1920), Randolph Scott (The Lash of the Mohicans 1936), Shirley
Temple, Ann Sheridan, Ginger Rogers (Having a Wonderful Time 1938), George Brent, Ward Bond, Gary Cooper (Northwest Mounted Police 1940), Ann Harding,
Buster Crabbe, Henry Fonda (The Moons our Home 1936), Fred MacMurray (Trail of the Lonesome Pine 1936), Sylvia Sidney, Ralph Bellamy, Gilbert
Roland, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Lucille Ball, Red Skelton, John Wayne (Shepard of the Hills 1941 and North to Alaska), Vivien Leigh
(Gone With The Wind,) George Montgomery (The Iroquois Trail 1950), Hayley Mills, Maureen O
Hara (The Parent Trap 1961), Elvis Presley (Kissin Cousins 1963), Lee Marvin (Paint your Wagon 1969), Andy Griffith (Girl in the Empty Grave 1977), Barbara Strieisand (Main Event 1979), James Brolin (Final Justice 1994), Charlie Sheen (Five Aces 1999), Mathew Broderick (War Games 1983), Dennis Quaid, Eddie Murphy (Doctor Doolittle 1998), Chris Farley ( Almost Heros 1998).
Scenes from "The Insider" with Al Pacino and Russell Crowe were shot in Fawnskin
on the north shore of the lake. In 2003, scenes from CSI Las Vegas were also shot
in Holcomb Valley and Fawnskin.
RESORTS AND LODGES 1888 - 1948
The Bear Valley Hotel in Big Bear 1888
The Bear Valley Hotel
Big Bear's first hotel was built in 1888 by 21 year-
old, Gus Knight Jr. who realized that the new lake would bring tourists to the area.
Knight, along with partner John Metcalf, purchased 80 acres south of the lake and
in June opened the 30 guest, Bear Valley Hotel. Unfortunately the hotel was destroyed
by fire in 1900. Automobiles started making the trip to Bear Valley as early as
1909, Charles Henry (the brother-in-law of Gus Knight) rebuilt the Bear Valley Hotel
and in 1906 a group of wealthy investors from Redlands, purchased the hotel along
with the surrounding 112 acres and changed the name to the Pine Knot Lodge. The
Pine Knot Lodge was considered luxurious mountain living and was host to many movie
companies while they were working in the area. The lodge closed in 1928.
After his Bear Valley Hotel burned in 1900, Gus Knight filed for bankruptcy. In 1906
he inherited 40 acres east of Pine Knot and built Knights Camp which he opened in
1915. Located on the south shore of the Lake , the resort featured separate cabins,
central dining hall, dance hall, store, and a fleet of motor and row boats.
Big Bear Lake Tavern
In 1917, Albert Brush began construction of the Big Bear Lake Tavern. The resort
consisted of a main building, four large guest quarters, thirty separate cabins,
employee quarters, lighting plant, garage and a stable. A movie company used the
tavern for a location soon after it was completed. The property still exists and
is now known as the Presbyterian Conference Center.
In 1924, a bridge was built across the Dam allowing motorists to drive around the
lake. That same year the Deep Creek Cut-off was also completed, and this picturesque
and cliff-hanging section of the road became known as the " Artic Circle ".
Stillwells Lodge on July 4th 1923
Cross country skiing became popular in the 1920's and Big Bear Lake and the surrounding
communities became popular winter sports areas as logging operations shut down and
outdoor recreational facilities flourished.
Stillwells Lodge and Ballroom
In 1921 Carl and Mamie Stillwell opened the famous Stillwells Lodge and Ballroom,
which became known throughout Southern California for good music, dancing, and a
lakeside setting in the forest.
The lodge had a beach, swimming pool, restaurant, tennis courts and boat landing
and soon became the Mecca in the mountains for young and old. Top-name radio and
recording bands played over the years.
Motion picture companies often stayed there when on location, and the pavilion was
used in several films. The original ballroom was destroyed by fire in 1928 and was
replaced with a new structure.
By 1924, forty-four resorts were in full operation and all were supplied with electricity.
On the 4 th of July that year 10,000 cars poured into Big Bear Lake.
The indoor and outdoor pools at the Pan Hot Springs Inn
Pan Hot Springs Inn
In 1921 Emile Jesserun purchased 40 acres of Shay Ranch land which included a natural
hot spring that had been used by the Serrano Indians. In 1924 Emile opened the Pan
Hot Springs Inn, one of the largest hotels in the valley. The Inn had two large swimming pools, one indoor and
one outdoor, and the pools were filled with hot, naturally flowing mineral water.
The Inn also featured a lavish ballroom with a medieval decor.
The resort was frequented by celebrities and movie companies until it was destroyed by fire in 1933.
Later, a new smaller pool was built and it continued to operate until it too was damaged
by the 1992 Big Bear earthquake. The pool never re-opened.
in April 2011, the Pan Hot Springs property was returned to its people when the San Manuel Band
of Mission Indians purchased the property from Ray Bowling, who has owned the site
since the 1990s. The San Manuel Band of Mission Indians also owns other property related
to the cold springs site in Shay Meadow. James Ramos, the chairman of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians, says this is a big cultural purchase for the tribe as this site plays an important role in the tribe's creation story.
Their creator, Kruktat, was treated at the hot springs and was credated there.
According to chairman Ramos, it is up to the tribal council to decide what to do with the Pan Hot Springs property;
Mr. Ramos would like to see an educational or interpretive center on the property.
The Peter Pan Woodland Club
Peter Pan Woodland Club
In 1925 Harry Kiener, the creator of The Peter Pan Woodland Club formed a corporation
to develop mountain property in the east valley area of Big Bear City (just east
of the present day airport).
In 1930, Guy Maltby, owner of the Bear Valley Milling And Lumber Company designed
and built the huge four-storey clubhouse surrounded by a a golf course, beautiful
landscaping, tennis courts, swimming pool, and gymnasium. The symbol of the club
was a beautiful statue of Peter Pan sitting on a huge mushroom in the garden. The
Peter Pan Woodland Clubhouse was a showplace and host to many gala parties, and
was the center of social life in Big Bear City .
Several movies used the clubhouse for a backdrop and the club was a favorite with
movie companies on location in the valley. The clubhouse was destroyed by fire in
The historic Oak Knoll Lodge as it was in the 1920's - 1930's
Oak Knoll Lodge
Oak Knoll Lodge is one of the oldest lodges in Big Bear Lake . In September 1920,
Ernest G. Augustine and his wife Anna purchased the property and one cabin. They
started building more cabins around the original one and thus started Oak Knoll
Lodge. The lodge was ideally located, as it was the first lodge you saw when coming
into Big Bear Valley over the Millcreek and Clark 's Grade roads from Redlands.
Across from the lodge on the Millcreek Road was the upper control gate. The hours
for the control road coming up were 2, 5, 8, 11am & 2, 5, 8, 11 pm and going down
3: 30, 6: 30, 9: 30 am and 12: 30, 3: 30, 6: 30, 9: 30, 12: 30pm. There were three
main roads into the valley during the 1920's, the Millcreek road, the Johnson's
Grade Road at the east end of the valley which went past Baldwin Lake and down to
Lucerne Valley and CityCreek and Waterman Canyon roads which came together at Running
Springs, then to Green valley up the back side and came out at Fawnskin.
A winter scene of the present Oak Knoll Lodge
Roy and Elizabeth Lawrence purchased Oak Knoll Lodge in 1927. At that time, the cabins
had no indoor plumbing and the town of Big Bear Lake was known as Pine Knot. Over
the next few years, Roy developed a spring nearby and installed running water to
each kitchen. Bathing was provided for in the main building; every day between 4
pm and 6 pm Roy would start a wood-fired water heating system for the showers. During
the late 30's this was the first lodge to use butane gas for cooking. Later the
wood stoves for heating were replaced with floor furnaces and gas ranges.
Roy 's son Chuck took over the operation of the lodge in 1965 and in 1968 Chuck married
wife Christina and they have three children. Today, Chuck and Christina still own
the lodge and greet guests when they arrive. Located on National Forest land, the
exterior of the charming rustic cabins of Oak Knoll Lodge looks much the same as
they did in the 1920's, on the inside the cabins have been upgraded with all the
comforts. Oak Knoll is across the street from the doorway to the most beautiful
hiking trails in these mountains. It is a unique and wonderful place to stay and
guests who spend the night, can imagine themselves back in a different era
LOGGING IN THE MOUNTAINS
Logging in the San Bernardino Mountains 1897
Sawmilling in the mountains continued during the gold rush, trees fell from dawn till dusk as men mined more gold from the tall trees than in the streams of Holcomb Valley. Because Big Bear Valley was so far from civilization, and hauling costs were prohibitive, this valley was saved from the intensive timber cutting of the Arrowhead and Running Springs forests.
The stark appearance of the towering San Gabriel Mountains , today virtually denuded, reflects the intense exploitation to which it was subjected by logging in the 1800's. Abbott Kinney (founder of Venice beach in LA) sparked a fire of protest against the unbridled abuse being inflicted upon these grand old mountains. His efforts recruited famed naturalist John Muir and congress passed the Forest Reserve Act of 1891 granting authority to the President to set aside as public reservations, public lands bearing forest wholly or in part covered with timber or undergrowth. On Dec. 20th 1892, President Benjamin Harrison signed into existence the San Gabriel Timberland Reserve.
By the turn of the century, over a dozen major sawmills were screeching away in the mountains of San Bernardino, among them grew the towns of Crestline and Running Springs.
In 1899 J E Brookings purchased the Highland Lumber Co. near Running Springs. So efficient were their logging methods that before long the most impressive forest titans on the mountain had been brought down. Concerned locals, alarmed at what was happening, petitioned President Theodore Roosevelt to expand upon President Harrison's forest reserve to encompass and thus rescue all remaining privately held timberland in the San Bernardino Mountains . The year was 1906. Long before legislation could be enacted, the damage had been done and Green Valley and environs stood completely denuded.
In the Big Bear Valley area there were approximately twenty-two small sawmills, one such sawmill was located at Sawmill Cove and many of the logs came from drowned trees in the lake, which were felled when the lake was frozen. The Pedersen Sawmill was the longest running sawmill, and operated from the 1920's to the 1960's. Much of the original sawmill was donated to The Big Bear Museum by Anita Pedersen. The newer sawmill still stands on the property in Fawnskin, although it has not operated for years.
SKIING AND SNOWBOARDING 1929
The Lynn Ski Lift opened in 1938 at the Snow Forrest Ski Area
In 1925 Walter E. Kruckman, the General Traffic Agent for the Motor Transit Company
which served, Crestline, Lake Arrowhead , Running Springs and the Big Bear Valley
would be the first to stimulate winter sports in the area. The transit company had
a franchise to the mountains which required them to operate a year-round bus service,
even though they traveled empty in the winter months. Kruckman conceived the idea
of developing public interest in snow sports to fill his empty buses during the
After approaching the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce to no avail, he helped form
the Southern California Winter Sports League, in which he took the position of publicity
and public relations director. Kruckman promoted winter sports with 15 minute radio
spots on KHJ, KFI, and KNX, and before long the publicity attracted Sacramento and
the State Chamber of Commerce, who adopted winter sports as a state project.
Weather, road and snow conditions were telephoned to the radio stations for broadcasting;
Department Stores in Los Angeles showed Ski clothes and skis in their display windows,
and Norway 's ski champion, Sven Hansen, donated his time as a ski instructor at
Big Bear, sponsored by the Southern California Winter Sports League.
In 1929 the first ski jump in the mountains was built in Big Pines near Wrightwood,
where a world ski jumping record was set. Later, similar big jumps were built in
Big Bear Lake . In the early 1930's, the Viking Ski Club of Los Angeles provided
instruction and started holding competitive, winter sports events in Big Bear. Downhill
skiing was gaining in popularity and in 1934 a sling lift was constructed at Fish
Camp (the present Snow Valley). The historic Lynn Sling Lift opened in Big Bear
in 1938; it was located in the Snow Forest Ski Resort. After World War 11, owner
Clifford Lynn built a 3000 foot single chair lift. The Snow Forrest Ski Resort closed
several years ago. During the 1940's and early 50's several small rope tows were
constructed, including an Upper and Lower Moonridge Rope Tow, located where the
base of Bear Mountain Ski Area is today. It was during the 50's that Big Bear changed
from a summer resort into a four season resort, thanks to the blossoming ski industry.
In 1947 Tommy Tyndall, a young man with an impressive skiing background, arrived
in Big Bear and started ski schools at several of the ski areas. He founded the
Big Bear Winter Club, and held the first Snow Carnival competition in 1949. Tommy
looked for a location, where he could open a ski resort that could be improved and
expanded; he found the perfect area just east of the Village, in Big Bear Lake -
this would become Snow Summit. In 1952 Tommy created the Snow Summit Ski Corporation
with financial assistance from his many friends and local investors. He built a
mile-long double chairlift which reached the top of the mountain. This was the largest
ski development in the San Bernardino Mountains, and Snow Summit became Southern
California's premier ski resort.
In 1955 the Upper Moonridge rope tow experimented with snowmaking on a 300 foot run,
however it proved economically impractical and was abandoned after two winters.
In 1958 the Rebel Ridge Ski Area near Big Bear City installed snow making on a 800
foot long rope tow. In the drought years that followed, this system proved practical
and was noticed by the other ski areas. In 1963, Dave and Dan Platus purchased the
Lynn Lift Area for $75,000 and changed the name to Sky Forest . They converted the
old sling tow to rope tows and installed snow making at the resort which they opened
in December of that year. Meanwhile, Tommy Tyndall realized that he would have to
arrange for financing to install snow making at Snow Summit; and by January of 1964
he had completed installation of the first large snow making system in Southern
California . Tragically Tommy was killed in a tractor accident while working on
one of the slopes. The management fell to Tommi's wife Jo Tyndall, who was assisted
by her son, Richard Kun.
After an excellent snow season in 1969, Snow Summit was able to add a second chair
lift. The Moonridge area was purchased by several former Snow Summit ski instructors
including Fred Goldsmith and Bill Strickland, they changed the name to Goldmine
and installed a mile long chairlift to the top of the mountain. The next few years
saw very little snow and at the end of 1972 Goldmine went into receivership. Snow
Forest closed in 1973 and remained closed during the balance of the 1970's, and
Rebel Ridge ended operations. The winter of 1972-73 was a good snow year and Snow
Summit far exceeded any previous record and Goldmine was able to recover from receivership.
The sport of skiing grew rapidly during the 1970's and the winter economy in the
Big Bear Valley became more important that the summer season. Today Big Bear Lake
is generally thought of as a "ski town".
Snowboarding at Snow Summit in the early 1990's
By 1980, Goldmine under the leadership of Joe Shuff, had three chair lifts and an
expanded snow making system. Snow Forest had been purchased by Bob Boothe, and he
replaced the original single chair lynn Lift with a new triple chair lift, improved
the runs and other facilities. In 1988, Goldmine was purchased by the S-K-I Ltd.,
a public corporation owning two large and successful ski areas in Vermont and the
area was renamed "Bear Mountain". Subsequently, millions of dollars were invested
in major overall improvements, including the first high-speed chairlift in Big Bear
Lake . Later a high-speed chairlift was installed at Snow Summit. The Snow Forest
Ski Area closed permanently in the early 1990's and the facilities were removed.
Snowboarding exploded on the scene in the late 1980's, sweeping through ski resorts across
During the early 1990's, it became the sport of the young,"bad boy" adolescent male
(they acted exactly like adolescent males on skis). Over the past years snowboarding
become a sport for all ages, and many families bring both skis and snowboards when
they come to the mountains.
Snowboarding has become an exciting competitive sport, with participants coming from all over the world. The different categories include Freestyle, Halfpipe, Salom, Giant Salom and Border Cross.
In 1995, Bear Mountain Resort was sold to the Fiberboard Corporation, which in turn sold it to Booth Creek Holdings, Inc., in 1997.
In 2002, Booth Creek Holdings sold Bear Mountain to the Snow Summit Ski Corporation, who now control both ski and snowboard resorts in Big Bear Lake.
THE BIG BEAR MUSEUM
The Big Bear Museum sign and wagon
BigBearLake.net would like to thank The Big Bear Museum and Big Bear Valley Historical
Society for their cooperation and the use of some of their photographs - with a
special thank-you to Kim Sweet and the late Tom Core.
The Museum is a must-see on your trip to the Big Bear Valley. This is a wonderful
Museum with numerous displays and exhibits. You really get the feel of what Big
Bear Valley was like in days gone by and it is a great place to bring the little
one to educate them about the past.
The museum is run by The Big Bear Historical Society who's goal is to preserve historical
artifacts and landmarks pertaining to Big Bear Valley. The Society is a non-profit
organization and most of their hardworking members are volunteers.
The Museum is open from the end of May into October and is located at the northeast end of Big Bear City Park off Greenway.
The Stamp Mill was brought here to Big Bear Valley due to the efforts of Tom Core. It is a Joshua-Hendy 5-stamp ore mill and was purchased for the Historical Society in 1994 from David Trabucco of Bear Valley in Mariposa, California. It has been reconstructed at its present site
The Log Cabin was constructed about 1875 as a hunting lodge at the Cienega Largo, west of Fawnskin. It was dismantled and moved to Big Bear Lake where it became the Valley's first museum. After a second relocation, it eventually became a part of the museum in time for the dedication on June 12th, 1982.
The Main Building was built about 1929 as the Big Bear City Community Market. On May 5, 1976 it was moved to the present site in the park, and the work of changing it into a museum began. The image shows the back entrance of the museum.
The Museum features a display by famed leather artist Bob Brown. Bob's masterpieces are known worldwide and he was inducted into the Cowboy Hall of Fame in 2001.
The late Bob Brown, the man who "taught John Wayne how to walk and stand" and who dressed most of the western movie stars was an artist who created detailed western scenes and history of the Old West on leather. Bob passed away in Sept. 2005 at age 95.
Actress and singer Shirley Jones has donated several items to the Museum including two commemorative plates from the movie "Oklahoma".
Actress and singer Shirley Jones pictured at the Big Bear Museum in the surrey that was used in the movie The Surrey with the Fringe on Top.
Mountain Lion and Bobcat display at the Big Bear Museum.
Rock and Snake display at the Museum.
The Big Bear Valley Historical Society - Neil Nickle, Dave North, the late Tom Core , museum curators Kim and Tim Sweet, Hal Parker.
If you would like to read more on the History of Big Bear Valley you can purchase
a copy of Tom Core's book "Big Bear The First Hundred Years" and "Ghost Town School
Marm -Bear Valley Mining Days". Call the Museum, January thru December and they
will be happy to take your order. 1(909)585-8100.
Two other books about Big Bear Valley are "Those Magnificent Mountain Movies" by
W. Lee Cozad and "Arrowhead-Big Bear, the Alps of Southern California" by Adam R.
Most Vintage Photos courtesy of the Big Bear Museum.
All content in this History Section is Copyright of Bigbearlake.net. Some photos copyright Gary Berwin/bigbearlake.net.